Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Recommend Read- Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Patrick Quillin

A few weeks after I was first diagnosed with my breast cancer I started researching (I am a former paralegal, research is in my blood) ways to fight cancer, more information on breast cancer and treatments.  I bought a few books from Amazon, and Barns & Noble because I love books and handy reference material as well as I want to have a library when I finally have my own location for my cancer support ministry that women can check out if they want. 

One of the books I bought was Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Patrick Quillin, PhD, RD, CNS.  For me dealing with my cancer I wanted to learn about what I could to help my body fight this punk ass disease, I needed to have some control in this.  What I eat is in my control, having cancer, losing my hair, having side effects all this was not in my control and even though the choices to follow doctor recommended chemo, mastectomy, radiation were in my control I felt like they weren't.  I needed to have peace of mind that I did not let my body down should the treatments not work, or the cancer to come back I knew I needed to do what I could to strengthen and support my body to fight off this enemy inside, so I turned to nutrition.  In the course of a few months doing this research on how nutrition affects the body, what foods are cancer fighting and body fortifying I became certified in nutrition, yoga, personal training, and senior fitness and nutrition.

 I loved Beating Cancer with Nutrition it is easy to read, gives helpful recipes, talks about nutrition and common cancer medications.  What I REALLY liked was that it talks about cancer fighting nutrition not as a sole alternative to traditional cancer meds, but in connection with them.  I am not a devout homeopathic user or pusher, BUT there is something to it, and for me personally I like to use some natural cures, there is so much chemical ingredients in our society as it is I would really like to go back to a more natural, organic way of life, the only downside is the FDA rules and testing requirements for drugs that isn't for all natural products however I do believe that the big drug companies are greedy a++holes who are just in it to make a buck!! (Sorry got on my soapbox)

Ok so beating cancer with nutrition, this is a GREAT compliment to your drug treatments, or as an alternative.  Be sure to check with your oncologist for what foods might need to be avoided due to your type of cancer or interactions with your medications, that said you can't trust your doctors 100% so after you ask them, do your own research!  Always always do your own research. 

I recommend this book to everyone, even if you aren't a cancer patient or survivor it gives really good nutritional information, recipes and advice on keeping your body strong to help fight off cancer or resistant.  Sorry about the tangent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment