Monday, September 24, 2018

Getting your sexy groove back after/during cancer

It's important as adults that we feel vibrant and sexy, especially as we start to age.  For me, when I lost my right breast to cancer I didn't feel less than a woman.  Sex and feeling sexy was the furthest thing from my mind.  However, as a married woman I was worried my husband wouldn't find me desirable and sexy to him.  After all my 4 year old son already said I looked like a boy with my head buzzed from the chemo, I had one breast and scars all over.  I felt like shit so I must have looked like shit too!  Well I did put make-up on every day and tried to be "cute". 

I was determined not to give in to the ugliness of cancer if I could help it.  So I bought fun earrings, wore my make-up, got a great red lipstick, painted my nails and just tried to look as "normal" as I could not only for my children's sake as they were little but for myself as well.  You often hear that if you look good you feel good, there is even a cancer charity named that.  There is truth in that statement, I have experienced it in cancer, and other illnesses or injury.  Your sexy worth should not be defined by the hair on your head, or lack thereof.  Bald can be beautiful!  For both men and women.  Bruce Willis looks great!  Amber Rose is rocking it!  So are many of my fellow cancer friends.  Gorgeous!

Pin-ups for Cancer is a wonderful group I belong to here in California and they host a pin-up photo shoot for survivors and their families or caregivers and it's a blast!  So many women are treated to being pampered with hair and make-up being done by professionals and getting dressed up and having fun.  For many this is the first time in months that they have felt sexy and it is beautiful to see these women re-discover their beauty. 

If you are lucky enough to have a spouse that is standing by you while you go through hell of cancer treatments I can assure you that they still see you as you were on your wedding day.  Love and sexual appeal is not 100% visual.  It is spiritual, emotional and a little laughter can go a Long way!  I am often asked why I didn't have a nipple reconstructed or tattooed on my reconstructed breast.  I always answer that I wanted to have more fun surprising my husband with a sticker on it instead.  From yellow happy face emoji stickers to scratch-n-sniff stickers we have had some fun with it.  I love it, and I am so glad I made the choice I did.

My advice to you is to get your sexy back.  Good song by Justin Timberlake, and good advice.  It doesn't matter if you are married or not, you deserve to feel desirable and sexy.  Buy a gorgeous pair of lacy panties, or a sexy pair of high heels, a bold lipstick or hey some scratch-n-sniff stickers and have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment