Monday, September 10, 2018

What do you do when a friend is diagnosed?

Not knowing what to say when you hear that a friend or family member has been diagnosed with cancer is a common feeling, even to the most gifted of speakers.  A cancer diagnosis is devastating, there is no getting around it, and for a survivor to have it return and hear those words for a 2nd or 3rd time, "you have cancer" for me it was more devastating than the first time.

Recently I have seen posts on Facebook of my fellow breast cancer sisters posting that their cancer has now metastasized labeling them stage IV or incurable because now the original space infected by cancer has now moved.  Although there is a lot of research into breast cancer there is not a lot (or enough) research into metastatic cancer.

A cancer patient and their family live daily with the fear of cancer returning.  When it does it is heart breaking.  As a survivor myself I feel like I don't know what to say to my friend who now has to go through chemo all over again, lose her hair all over again, feel like crap all over again.  All in the fight to live to see her grandkids born. 

What do you say to a friend or family member who is diagnosed with cancer???? Whether it is the 1st, 2nd or 12th time they are diagnosed you can always say, "I love you, and I am here for you, whatever you need.  Even just to hold your hand or sit with you."

#stageIVneedsmore  #cancersucks #cancercutie #Iamthefaceofstage4

No comments:

Post a Comment